The content on this page may be out of date.
Clinical academic group:COO
Board/corporate function: Central Appointments/Outpatients
Salary band: B3
Responsible to: Team Supervisor
Accountable to: Central Appointments Manager
Hours per week: State total hours a week the role requires 37.5
Location: 1st Floor 9 Prescot St London E1 8PR
Budgetary responsibility: None
Manages: Direct reports: 0
Indirect reports: 0
Aim of the role
The post holder will be expected to provide a service to all Trust-wide clinics within their given team. An up-to-date knowledge of all clinics will be needed to enable the post holder to make, amend, and cancel appointments and handle straightforward queries in all specialties as this will become a multi-skilled role; the post holder will need a working knowledge of all clinic protocols in addition to any specific standards for each clinic/specialty. The role will range from the registration of new patient in all directorates, handling GP and patient queries for all clinics to making appointments using systems such as full and partially booked appointments. Main duties will be answering telephone calls from patients or GP’s wishing to make or change appointments or making general enquiries.
Key working relationships
The post holder will work within a large team supporting the Central Appointments department and associated areas. They will liaise directly with the Supervisors, Departmental Managers, other colleagues within in the centre, patients, GP’s, visitors to the Trust, clinicians, support services, clinic receptionists, outpatient managers and their teams.
Key result areas
• Patients calls are answered in line with departments service level agreements
• Patients are treated courteously, with empathy and respect
• Patients referrals are processed in line with departments service level agreements
• Outpatient appointments will be booked within internal and national targets
Main duties and responsibilities
• To answer the telephone in a courteous and pleasant manner ensuring that the call script is adhered to at all times.
• To deal professionally with enquiries in line with the appointments centre standard operating procedures.
• To deal effectively with clinicians queries regarding patient appointments and details for Trust wide clinics.
• Ensure that any patient demographic detail changes are made at the time of the patient call/visit on CRS or its replacement.
• To ensure patient cancellations are updated on CRS and the reason recorded immediately.
• To ensure any waiting list management or booking management policies are adhered to.
• To maintain a direct, full and partial booking system by agreeing dates with patients, GPs or their receptionists, at the time of their phone call or in line with the outcome of an electronic booking protocol.
• Ensure that any relevant information is communicated to clinical directorates and clinics receptions teams as appropriate.
• To maintain an audit trail for all referrals entering the Trust. To ensure that standards are met for patients receiving notification or acknowledgement of their appointment.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder.
The post holder might be required to work across the Trust at any time throughout the duration of his/her contract, which may entail travel and working at different hospital.
Interested? Send us your resume at the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org