Case Study – Childcare

I started working with children in my teens as a volunteer in play centres. There I learnt how to plan and deliver fun activities, and evaluate them. Later on, I volunteered in a nursery and took an introductory course to childcare (level1).I just wanted to train for a job that would fit around my family . This gave me the basic knowledge of child development and built my confidence up during the placement. They offered me a job as Special Needs Assistant and encouraged me to complete the level 2.

I enjoyed working with the children and as part of a team, and the challenge of meeting different needs (some of the children had ASD/ Downs or other physical disabilities). From there, I followed various career paths including teaching/ special needs support and training/assessing.
As a trainer/assessor, I have had students who took the Childcare level 3 from a whole range of job roles: people who wanted to specialise in early years or train as health visitors/ paediatricians, TAs in schools, childminders, play workers, drama teachers. Having a childcare qualification can be fun, rewarding and definitely opens up a lot of doors!


– Angelique Cannone

Read More

how to become a childminder


Although becoming a childminder might look like an appealing prospect, you need to carefully consider a few things before starting. How will having someone else’s children in your own home impact on your home/family life? (yes, those toys do take over your living space if you are not careful!). You also need to consider financial and practical aspects- keeping up to date paperwork, income and expenditure, paying your own tax etc. How would you deal with being sick/ not getting paid?

Once you have made up your mind, there are a few things you need to ensure you do:

  1. You will need a current paediatric first aid certificate
  2. You will also need a valid current DBS (which used to be known as CRB check). Anyone living in your home who is aged 16 or above will also need to have DBS.
  3. You need to arrange suitable home and public liability insurance (proof may be required for registration with Ofsted).
  4. You have to complete an introductory course (contact your local council to find details in your area). It is also highly recommended that you hold a childcare or early years qualification (preferably level 3). Contact your local authority Early Years team for more information on available courses and how to get set up before applying for registration.
  5. Registering with Ofsted or a Childminding Agency (if there is one in your local area). This applies to anyone getting paid to look after children under 8 for more than 2 hours a day. registration. Ofsted will visit your home, check that you are suitably qualified and that you have DBS/insurance etc. when issuing your registration, they will tell you how many children/ what ages you are allowed.


Registering with Ofsted is a big step, and you should research and prepare as they are likely to ask you questions about your policies and procedures, equality and diversity, assessing children’s development and the EYFS, safeguarding, health and safety and more.


If you are ready to take the first steps to become a childminder checkout our childcare courses and qualifications here!

You can even do these childcare courses online or from home – there’s no upfront cost & funding is available – so there’s no reason not to go for it!

digital marketing training course


Read More